Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Time to reflect

"There are those moments in life that seem to almost stop time completely and bring to light the harsh reality of how fragile life is; and in that moment you must decide whether to be swallowed up in the darkness or step forward and make each day your own, to enjoy what you take for granted...to simply live." - Justin Gardner

To me this blog isnt just about the training during this prep season, but also for emotional thoughts throughout the season. After a pretty good leg workout, I came home to see my mother in tears, proceeding to inform me that my grandmother out in CO just passed away. Unfortunately, all of the family is spread across the country and we dont keep in touch like we should. Luckily I did get to spend time with her a few years back while I was at the Air Force Academy. This is the second time in 6 years I have lost someone close in the family. My dad passed away when I was 18, before my senior year started. I didnt necessarily get to really come to terms with it right away as I was preparing to graduate HS and leave for boot camp at the Academy.

In short, we tend to get so caught with things that are going on immediately around us, and we dont take enough time to just look at the broader horizon and find balance to make us not only better as competitors, but as people. It is never easy to deal with something like this, but I do not feel that it will hinder my progress at all, if anything it will fuel the fire. The gym is my sanctuary, and with my dad and grandma watching over me...the journey moves forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment